The Director-General, Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC), Mr Aminu Diko, has said that the construction of the long awaited 2nd Niger Bridge is still on course.
This is contained in a statement signed and made available to newsmen by the Director-General on Wednesday in Abuja.
Diko disputed reports that the project was “on hold”, “stalled”, “being probed” or even “suspended”.
The Director-General recently briefed President Buhari and the media on the status of the bridge, which had since then received bad publicity.
“During my visit with the President, I expressed concerns about project cost vis-à-vis projected toll fees and engagement of community stakeholders whose land would be affected along the bridge’s right of way.
“The commission would like to see the Niger Bridge completed to alleviate the plight travelers face on that route, especially during festivities.
“We know that it is critical, we also know how Nigerians suffer during festive holidays and we hear people sleep on that old bridge. The time has come to bring succor to Nigerians.”
Diko said as a Public Private Partnership, the project must pass through various checks to satisfy the Federal Government and investors alike of its viability and also to ensure people got value for money.
Diko said that apart from the Niger Bridge, ICRC was working with private partners on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, the Sagamu-Ore-Benin road and the Murtala Mohammed road.
He added that the three Deep Seaports at Akwa Ibom, Lekki, and Badagry and also the agriculture silos and hydro power were some of the projects the commission was working on.
“All these projects are important to the nation and it is in our interest that they are successful.
“Most importantly, our duty is not only to oversee the provision of quality infrastructure services, but also to ensure that the nation and citizens are not shortchanged by investors.”