Home Football Raheem Sterling on rampage as Crystal Palace lost 1-3 to Manchester City

Raheem Sterling on rampage as Crystal Palace lost 1-3 to Manchester City


Pep Guardiola’s side dominated for 82 minutes at Selhurst Park, as Manchester City walzed to a 3-1 victory over Crystal Palace.

Raheem Sterling — who else? — had put the champions ahead with two excellently taken goals either side of half time.

But then pandemonium ensued courtesy of Luka Milivojevic’s well struck free-kick as Palace set-up a nail-biting finale.

Guardiola’s men got over the line, though. At this point in the season that’s all that matters – Gabriel Jesus coming off the bench to add a third as Palace threw caution to the wind in search of what may have been the seminal moment in this season’s intriguing title race against Liverpool.

Roy Hodgson’s task from this point is to ensure Palace minds don’t drift after reaching that all-important 40 point mark with last weekend’s win at Newcastle.

Sterling should have plundered City ahead in the 10th minute, but somehow fired wide from six yards with an empty goal to aim at following David Silva’s mesmeric work down Palace’s right side.

It’s no exaggeration to say it was harder to miss. Perhaps in previous seasons we wouldn’t have been so dumbfounded.

But not this season. Not this Sterling. So it was hardly surprising that five minutes later the England international was making amends. Kevin De Bruyne’s pass ruthlessly ripped through Palace’s rearguard.

Once Sterling ran off Scott Dann, there was no catching him – the only detail left was to discover was whether he could finish from a tight angle.

he answer was emphatic, Sterling firing a rasping shot past Vicente Guaita and into the roof of the net.

City were in front without barely breaking sweat. Those fears of Palace taking their foot of the gas were transitioning into reality. Surely the only question now was how many City would win by.

Leroy Sane forced Guaita into a smart near post save after bamboozling three Palace defenders down the left.

Yet the precarious nature of 1-0 leads often lead to anxiety. Indeed, had Ilkay Gundogan not produced a last-ditch challenge to deny Cheikhou Kouyate, who was on as an early substitute following an injury to Jeffrey Schlupp, then Palace would have levelled in the 31st minute.

Likewise, had Ederson’s handling not been on point then Wilfried Zaha would have been celebrating an equaliser moments later.

Guaita stopped De Bruyne’s close range effort in the 45th minute as City ended the half in the ascendancy.

But for all their dominance – and it was considerable with 78 percent possession in the first half – those on Merseyside were still clinging onto hope of a title race defining shock.

City picked up where they left off after the break – Silva’s improvised effort from De Bruyne’s low cross forcing Guaita into another save.

Guardiola’s men had hardly shifted out of second gear, yet their dominance was unquestionable.

Their total control of this clash testament to their technical superiority over Palace.

But the home side hardly appeared to be busting a gut to ask questions of a City defence that would surely be nervous as the minutes ticked away.

And eventually, the second arrived. Predictably it was Sterling, with his 27th goal in all competitions this season, whose first time finish in the 63rd minute from Sane’s pass doubled City’s advantage.

He wheeled away towards the City supporters, beaming from ear to ear, simply nodding his head.

Guardiola’s been nodding away at Sterling’s brilliance all season. But those approving nods turned to worried shakes as Palace threw the cats amongst the pigeons in the 82nd minute.

Vincent Kompany was adjudged to have fouled James McArthur on the edge of the area leaving Milivojevic with a enticing shooting opportunity.

And the Serbian set-up a chaotic finish with an excellent low shot that beat Ederson to give Palace – and Liverpool – hope.

But in the final minute, as Palace threw the kitchen sink, Jesus settled those late anxieties by firing past Guaita after being set up by De Bruyne.