Home News Curfew and chaos in Zamfara over abducted Jangebe girls protests

Curfew and chaos in Zamfara over abducted Jangebe girls protests

130
0
SHARE

The Zamfara State government have declared a curfew and shut down markets after violence trailed the return of hundreds of kidnapped schoolgirls to their families.

Late on Wednesday, gunshots and chaos erupted during what should have been the joyous return of 279 schoolgirls abducted by gunmen from their boarding school last week.

The government secured the release of the girls on Tuesday and they had been undergoing medical checks and treatment.

However, at least three of the students were shot, but it was not clear by whom and this led to anger and protests outside the school, with soldiers shooting into the air, after impatient parents burst in and grabbed their children to take them home.

Zamfara state official, Sulaiman Tunau Anka called it “unfortunate civil disobedience” and said the governor had imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Jangebe, to prevent a further breach of the peace.

Anka also said market activities would be suspended until further notice, as authorities had uncovered “strong evidence” that these activities had aided and abetted bandits. He did not elaborate.

“The state government is poised to ensure safety of lives and properties of its citizens at all cost,” Anka said.

Earlier this week, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a massive military deployment to Zamfara, banned mining and imposed a no-fly zone in the state.

The Jangebe abduction was the third mass school kidnapping in northern Nigeria since December.