*Poisonous ‘ponmo’ now in market, Lagos Govt warns consumers*
The Lagos Government has warned consumers about the health risk of some cow hide, popularly called ponmo, being offered for sale in the state.
A Press release signed by Director, Public Affairs, Adeola Salako, said government arrested three persons connected with the sale of “toxic ponmo” in Ojo and Iba council areas, while the suspicious meat was also confiscated in large quantity.
“The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, who disclosed this in his office yesterday (Sunday) while reviewing report of preliminary investigation and enforcement carried out on the sale of the toxic ponmo in the areas, stated that the three persons involved have been charged to court, while samples of the confiscated ponmo had been sent to the NAFDAC laboratory for suitability test analysis for human consumption,” the release further stated.
Idris, while explaining what brought about the action, stated that the attention of the state government was drawn to the activities of traders who deal in the sale of the poisonous cow skin at odd hours in different locations in Ojo and Iba local government areas of the state.
“Preliminary investigations and suspect-tracing revealed that the traders were very active in the early hours between the hours of 4.00am and 6.00am at various locations such as Volkswagen bus stop, Iyana Iba, and Afolabi Ege markets, all within Ojo local government and Iba local council areas of the state.
“Furthermore, a company said to be located at Ije-Ododo area of Iba LCDA was indicted as the source of supply of this toxic ponmo and has subsequently been put under surveillance,” Idris said.
The commissioner called on the public to be vigilant and report any suspected activities and sale of unwholesome foods and food products to environmental health officers in their nearest local government or to the Ministry of Health or the Ministry of Agriculture.
He also advised the public against purchase and consumption of foods whose sources are doubtful or are perceived to be hazardous to human health.